Wednesday, November 4, 2009

There's one series that has rising ratings

The NASCAR Camping World Truck Series continues to outshine its peers. SPEED TV reports that the Halloween race at Talladega was the highest rated event ever on SPEED from the Alabama track. The Nielsen Household Rating of 1.34 translates into 999,000 households. That is a 21 percent jump year-over-year. Talladega’s CWTS race now ranks second highest in the 2009, with only Daytona ahead of it. SPEED TV notes that the viewership peaked at a 1.67 which is more than 1.2 million households and maintained more than a million households for two hours. During the NCWTS race, SPEED was the third highest rated basic cable network in Households, Men 18-49, Men 25-54 and Men 50-plus.

This season, the only CWTS race to see a ratings decline was the spring Martinsville race, which was run on Monday, due to rain.

So, what's your take? What is it about the trucks that is drawing bigger audiences at same time Cup is experiencing ratings declines?

3 comments:

  1. I love the truck series! I think it gets more attention because they don't focus one single driver. The SPEED commmentators make it more exciting. Yes, I know they do like to talk about Ron Hornaday alot since he's the points leader, but they don't spend an entire race talking about what is happening toward the front. Besides, in most truck races, there's action all over the track and not just at the front. The truck drivers don't hesitate to beat and bang fenders to make passes and they know how to make a race exciting. And usually the points battle is tighter in the truck series than the Cup series. Maybe that's the reason. There's no Chase in the truck series. I've said a few times this year that I wished Cup races were as good as truck races are alot of the time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. First off great topic for your first post on Skirts and Scuffs.

    I only recently started following the truck series. In the past it just didn't hold much appeal for me. I have to admit that I am glad that I started watching.

    I think a lot of it has to do with seeing different names in the truck series. Yes on occasion you see a few guys who run in Cup over in the trucks but it's not like the Nationwide Series where half the field is comprised of Sprint Cup guys. Don't get me wrong this Kyle fan loves to see him win in all three series but sometimes I think b/c he is a cup driver he overshadows the talent of the other guys running in NNS.

    The truck series has excitement and they don't usually have one or two cars that break away from the pack leaving everyone in the dust. I like that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I only watched a few of the truck races this year. I just don't have much interest in it like I used to be when I was younger. Just Greg and Kurt brought me into the truck's and when they left, I was on into it for a short time after that in 2003. But whenever my drivers are racing then I'll watch it. Unfortunately I didn't get the chance to watch it on Saturday but I wish that I did because Kyle won. I'm glad that the ratings are getting better, I'm still not convinced about the racing in general, and also certain drivers in the series that I never heard about and when I see their name, I'm always guessing, "Who is that guy, who's that girl?!"

    ReplyDelete