Sunday, July 4, 2010

Busch vs. Busch: Daytona (July)


Kyle Busch

Nationwide: No one could compare to Dale Earnhardt Jr. and the weekend he was having but Kyle Busch tried during the Subway Jalapeño 250 at Daytona. During the rain-soaked weekend, Busch got in two of the three practices, finishing seventh and 22nd. Qualifying fifth, he led four times for a total of 19 laps and finished seventh. Having missed three races, Busch is still fourth in points.

Cup: Busch's Cup weekend started off the way it ended: with a crash. In the first practice he was 11th but in the final practice, he was side-by-side with teammate Denny Hamlin and they got together (Busch took blame for the accident … see quote below). Luckily for Busch, he did not need to go to a back up car and qualified third. Busch overcame a loose wheel on lap 28, contact with the No. 43 of A.J. Allmendinger on lap 67 and was able to lead three times for 23 laps. However, in a similar situation to his crash with Hamlin, Busch crashed after contact with the No. 42 of Juan Pablo Montoya. Unfortunately, the damage was too much to fix and the No. 18 finished in the 40th position. Busch leaves Daytona sixth in points, falling three spots from last week.

Busch explained in his interview after the crash his take of what happened: “He [Montoya] was too close to my side and he started turning me sideways down the straightaway without even touching me just like I did to Denny [Hamlin]. He started turning before I even got over the No. 6 [David Ragan] in practice. When you have no grip on these tires...I was two laps away from pitting...the thing started rear steering me down the straightaway and I had no control over it. I didn’t turn across the nose of the No. 42. Why would I do that? Why would I wreck myself?”


Kurt Busch

The elder Busch had just as bad a night, if not worse, as his brother...

The remainder of this article can be read at examiner.com.

Article originally published at LV NASCAR Examiner and republished with permission of author.

Photo Credit: Chris Graythen/Getty Images

0 comments:

Post a Comment