Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Edwards Closes in on Milestone 50th NASCAR Win

CONCORD, N.C. (Aug. 11, 2010) – Roush Fenway driver Carl Edwards, who will turn 31 Sunday, is closing in on another NASCAR milestone. Edwards’ next NASCAR victory will be the 50th of his decorated career. With his next trip to victory lane, Edwards will become one of just 13 drivers to accomplish the feat of 50 in the modern era (1972-present) and one of only seven active drivers to accrue 50 or more wins in NASCAR’s three-main divisions.

“I feel blessed to have had the opportunities that I’ve been given by Jack Roush, Ford all of my sponsors and everyone at the shop,” said Edwards who will have two opportunities at Michigan to get the win this weekend; first in Saturday’s Nationwide race and then on Sunday in the Sprint Cup race.

“I have been just fortunate to get to drive these race cars. I really didn’t have a clue I had 49 wins in NASCAR. I honestly did not realize we had been to victory lane that often and the next win will really be special. It will be neat to have 50 wins in NASCAR.”

Edwards will also join Mark Martin and Greg Biffle as the third driver to accomplish 50 NASCAR wins while driving for Roush Fenway Racing.

“Ten years ago when I was racing at the small dirt tracks I would not have imagined that (50 wins in NASCAR) to be a possibility,” added Edwards. “I’ve been very fortunate to be part of such a great team at Roush Fenway. It’s an elite group of individuals and they have made me look good and I appreciate that.”

Ironically one of Edwards’ shot at 50 wins will come in Sunday’s Carfax 400 Sprint Cup race at Michigan; the same event where he made his Sprint Cup debut back in 2004.

“Michigan is one of the best tracks we could be going to right now,” said Edwards. “This marks the sixth anniversary of my first Cup race so this race always reminds me of that day and what a great opportunity Jack Roush and Ford has given me.”

Edwards NASCAR Win Breakdown:
Sprint Cup Series 16
Nationwide Series 27
Truck Series 6
Totals 49

0 comments:

Post a Comment