Thursday, August 26, 2010

NASCAR reinstates LaJoie after suspension

NASCAR announced Wednesday it had reinstated Randy LaJoie upon his successful completion of a counseling program after the former driver failed a drug test. He was suspended June 22 for violating the sanctioning body’s substance abuse policy.

On June 11, LaJoie was found to have violated Sections 12-1 (actions detrimental to stock car racing) and 19 (violation of the NASCAR substance abuse policy) of the 2010 NASCAR Rule Book. He said he had smoked marijuana in May.

In issuing their decision, NASCAR determined LaJoie had satisfied all the requirements for reinstatement.

LaJoie was randomly drug tested after applying for a spotter's license to work on Joe Gibbs Racing's No. 18 team in the Nationwide Series. The two-time Nationwide Series champion is an analyst for ESPN, but was suspended by the sports news network following his suspension from NASCAR.

"I am thankful to NASCAR for reinstating me for competition, and grateful to my friends and family who supported me through this time," LaJoie said in a statement. "This has been a tremendous learning and growing process for me, and I have come through it a stronger, better person. I am looking forward to returning to work, and continuing to prove to NASCAR, my colleagues, my family and my friends that this was an isolated incident that I have put behind me."

0 comments:

Post a Comment