Thursday, August 12, 2010

Track Travels: Watkins Glen International

In spite of living a couple of hours north of the track, I had never been to Watkins Glen International for a NASCAR race – until now. While perusing the listings for a local travel company specializing in bus trips this spring, I uncovered a brand new trip for 2010 – Watkins Glen!

The package deal was very reasonably priced, and included a “box lunch” from Dinosaur BBQ, pre-race pit pass, and a ticket in the Silver grandstand (at the exit of pit road, in Turn One), plus the roundtrip bus ride. While I was initially turned off by road-course racing (it just seemed like I would see more on television than at the track), I was pleasantly surprised by my experience at The Glen.

If I had one complaint, it was that I really needed a track map – getting to the pits, vendors, and souvenir haulers was an adventure, as they are all on what I normally think of as the “infield.” Once I gathered my bearings, however, I was able to enjoy the pre-race experience. The seats were great – I can honestly say I saw more action there than I do at the track I’m most used to, Pocono; we also had a Sprint Vision Jumbotron in front of us. The only drawback of the seats – the pre-race fireworks during the National Anthem were right in front of us…VERY smoky for a few minutes! I was pleasantly surprised by the prices in the concession areas – they were very reasonable compared to New Hampshire and Pocono.

I’m happy I attended my first race at The Glen – and if another bus trip is offered next year, I can say without a doubt, I’ll go again!
Photo 1: the field lined up on pit road - Paula Thompson
Photo 2: Marcos Ambrose (47) overtakes Juan Pablo Montoya (42) for the lead during the race - Paula Thompson

0 comments:

Post a Comment