Friday, February 12, 2010

Happy Valentine's Day to Me and My Dreams


I signed up to write for this website because it's written by women who have a passion for NASCAR, who want a future in NASCAR (in some form) and represent the women of NASCAR well. We come from different places, are of different ages and backgrounds but all love NASCAR. And I love it. I love the empowerment I feel when I read my fellow co-writers' work and I am proud to be a part of the Skirts and Scruffs team.

With that said, I have a bone to pick with men. Yes, you men out there. I have a long history with men who have told me my place is to be in the kitchen, cooking for them and having their babies. WHAT? I don't think so. I worked hard to receive a degree in Journalism and I am now working harder than ever to pursue my dreams of working in the NASCAR media. I will not be held down by some stereotype some men feel we need to live by. What hurts even more than that? When my man doesn't support me.

A recent man in my life hated NASCAR so much that when he was over and a race was on, I had “options” on how to deal with it. I could either not watch the race(s) and DVR them, watching them after he left (which was pointless since I would already know the results) or I could watch them on mute while he did other things. Being the nice woman I am, I obliged, but when he made me miss the one truck race we get a year, I hit my boiling point and kicked him to the curb. Did I mention he made me sit through hours of Spongebob reruns and made room for his extra computer so he could play World of Warcraft when he came over? I never said a word about his choices and let him do what he wanted.

It also bothers me when the men in my life argue that NASCAR isn't a sport. You can feel that way, great, we are all allowed to have opinions – and let's debate it (for fun...no feelings should ever get hurt during this debate). But when my dream is to work for NASCAR, you're essentially telling me I'm going after nothing and you're making fun of me and my dreams. You make it even worse when you tell me I don't know anything about it and only watch it because of the cute guys. The number one argument I hear is that NASCAR isn't a sport because it's not in the Olympics. Neither is football, so does that mean football isn't a sport? NASCAR drivers are some of the most athletic athletes I've ever seen. They have to stay strong for the grueling hours and conditions behind the wheel. Have you ever done a ride-along? I did and three laps in I thought my abs were going to burst – and that was only on 20 degree banking!

I've been spending the last three weeks reviewing the HBO Jimmie Johnson special 24/7 Jimmie Johnson: Race to Daytona. But what I don't include in my review is that I pretty much cry the entire episode because I am THAT passionate about what I want to do with my life. Is it corny? Sure. Am I embarrassed to admit it? No. Men cry when they win ball games, why can't I cry about what I'm passionate about as well?

I'm starting late in the game, having graduated college six years ago and leaving the field to support the mounds of student loans and real world bills I had to pay. I'm working 12-18 hours a day right now, writing, editing, writing some more and applying for any and every job or internship that comes my way. Right now I don't have time for a man, but if I did, I will only accept someone who supports me, my passion for NASCAR and my future goals. Anything less than that is not acceptable.

So this Sunday, I will be sitting in front of my television, watching the Daytona 500, dreaming of the day when I will be there, sitting on a pit box or holding a microphone in Victory Lane or preparing driver introductions. Whether or not there is a man beside me, it doesn't matter. All that matters is that I am beside those 43 men.


Opinions expressed in this post are those of the author and may not reflect this site or its other contributors.

Photo courtesy of Farrah Kaye.

0 comments:

Post a Comment